Stock images are photographs that are used on websites and in advertising, but also on PowerPoint presentations or other communication projects, without them being produced for that specific occasion.
If a webmaster needs to find the opening image of a homepage he has three paths ahead:
- Downloading it using Google and without asking permission of the creator. This can’t be done from a legal standpoint, but since it’s technically easy, unfortunately many choose this direction.
- Taking the picture on purpose. He can do it in person spending a lot time, or he can hire a professional spending a lot of money (how hard it would be to use this workflow for a blog about traveling?).
- Using sites like Fotolia, Shutterstock or Istockphoto, pay a few dollars and choose from millions of stock images of professional quality.
I bet the third option is the best one!
This is an example of stock image. Anyone can create it, at least those who have a friend who works as a chef. It can be used by:
- A cooking blog (or a blog about: agriculture, technical dress for chefs, vegetarian lifestyle…)
- A news website that presents a new App about the restaurant world. Or maybe it can be included in a post about a statistic like: “Eating out behavior in the U.S”, “Dining out falls victim to economy”…
- A homepage of a coupon site
- A billboard of a manufacturer of industrial kitchens
- A newsletter of a company that wants to sell you a holiday in Italy where you can eat typical Italian food
or in thousands of other places.
The producers of this content are not studios. Once they were, but today they can’t adapt to the flexibility that is required by the world. Producers have become independent freelancers like me (Yes, I’m the man in the opening photo! There I was shooting stock images during a holiday in Klagenfurt, Austria, but actually I’m Italian, and stock images are the perfect excuse to travel!).
Thanks to technology I work with low cost equipment and I sell my content on Shutterstock, Pond5 and other websites. Then I created this blog, where I teach you how I did it and how you can do it too.
Are you excited? Well maybe there are hundreds of dollars of photos waiting in your hard drive! Do you want to start selling them? The best way to do it is to take a look at this page I created for people like you.