Pond5 is the best agency for those who produce stock footage, because it guarantees the best profits. It gives to contributors:
- 50% of the sale price
- The possibility to set the sale price
It is quite likely that you will have the highest sales performance, at least if you produce stock footage.
They also sell audio, After Effects templates, music, 3D models and, of course, stock images, but if you’re a photographer it is not the place for you, and I recommend you sign up to Shutterstock, which lets you make a lot more money. Beware, however: you’re probably making a big mistake to focus only on photographs and not to start producing stock footage too.
So, if you are a video maker or even just a reflex owner who wants to earn, you can sign up in five minutes for free. Click this link and you will land here:
Click on the right side on the top of the page:
“SIGN IN” – It opens a window you will use to access your private area after you’ve become a contributor. Now you have to click “Sign Up”:
On the next window:
you have to enter:
- Your email address
- The username you want: please avoid numerical suffixes and unprofessional names (like Beetle56, Ferrari85, …)
- The password you choose
Then click the blue button: “Sign Up“
To optimize your profile, click on the upper right in the white circle with the symbol of the shape of a person, and in the drop down menu click “DASHBOARD”:
This is the window you find:
There’s a blank part. It is where your sales report will appear in the future (or your purchases if you buy content), but for the moment it is empty. By clicking ACCOUNT:
You can enter your contact information and decide whether to make your name or surname public:
Make your name public if you want to be found by search engines. Under that part:
If you are interested in buying content, you can save your credit card details, but my suggestion is to leave this part blank for now. Now click on PROFILE:
You can enter a short biography and under LOCATION you can enter your address. If you have a website that may be important to your business as a filmmaker, type it under WEBSITE.
Now click FTP:
You will find the parameters:
You need to set your upload with Filezilla (or Multcloud or what else):
- Server name
- Username (the Pond5 username you chose)
- Password (you have to choose it now, and that does not coincide with the one you use to access your private area)
- PREFERENCES. In the page that will pop up:You can change the default parameters regarding the language, which is usually English, and your email preferences. My suggestion is to leave only:
- “Sale Notification” (that will be sent once a day when you will have a sale)
- “Contributor Newsletter” (which sometimes contains important tips)
- “Messages and Comments”(that are the private messages sent by other users)
Keep the rest as it is and click “Submit.” Now click FINANCIALS:
- In this page you can find:Your sales reports, and your Referrals, that are users invited by you on which you earn 5% of what they sell in the first year.
If you click DOWNLOAD:
A blank page will pop up, but when you buy something, it would be reported here. If you click on this symbol:
as I recommend you to do, you can upload your photo (or logo). There are no rules, but in my opinion it’s better to upload a passport-style photo.
One last thing: after your first sale, under ACCOUNT/CONTACT INFO & PAYOUT PREFERENCES you have to set how you want to be paid:
I recommend PayPal. Pond5 will automatically pay you every 15th of the month if the total of your sales will exceed $25, or even if less, but in that case, you’ll have to uncheck:
this option. Good luck.